Get Started with ServiceNow- A Beginners guide
ServiceNow is a cloud-based IT service management platform that plays a crucial role in automating IT business management services. It is designed following the ITIL guidelines and offers task-based service-orientation activities and processes. Using the machine learning approaches, ServiceNow leverages data and workflow and thus helps organizations become more scalable and faster.
In this Servicenow Tutorial, You’ll Learn
- What is ServiceNow?
- Why use ServiceNow?
- Who uses ServiceNow?
- What are ServiceNow products and Services?
- Key ServiceNow Features
- ServiceNow History
- What is ServiceNow Terminology
- ServiceNow Architecture
- ServiceNow User Interface
- ServiceNow Administration
- ServiceNow Installation
- ITIL Stages
- ServiceNow Development
- ServiceNow Modules and Applications
- Configuring Users and Groups
What is ServiceNow?
Service-Now is a powerful, flexible, and dependable cloud-based software platform that effectively helps businesses achieve their problem management and incident goals. Furthermore, the users have the privilege to select their comfortable and suitable support interface. It even provides the required information to the workers for diagnosing and repairing the issues while removing the dependency on emails and spreadsheets.
Why use ServiceNow?
ServiceNow technology will help you work quickly and make your workflow smarter and faster. All stakeholders, including workers and clients, make changes to the same platform, simplify operations and provide a single version of the output. It lets your workers deliver accurate solutions with increased service levels over time and reduces ITSM costs by up to 60%.
Moreover, Sitecore helps to replace unstructured business/work model processes with intelligent workflows. It provides many ways to get help, including forms, questionnaires, chats, emails, etc. ServiceNow handles Web services, email operations, and events from various tracking tools and external sources. As a SaaS, you don’t have to worry about configuration, deployment, upgrade, and maintenance. You can provide a customer-friendly self-service portal with your brand.
Who uses ServiceNow?
Here is the list of users who uses the ServiceNow platform and its applications:
- Employees – Use it for requesting their business-related IT services.
- Administrators – Use it in user access, privilege, and role management.
- IT Support – Use it for managing incidents and service requests.
- Developers – Uses it for creating new functionalities with scripts and extended configurations.
- Implementers – Uses it for deploying the process applications and the software platform features that fulfill the business requirements.
What are ServiceNow products and Services?
Here is the list of ServiceNow products and services available for businesses:
Business Management Applications: ServiceNow offers businesses complete commercial enterprise offerings with the aid of using expertise in the relationship to the underlying IT capital. It also seeks to enhance the availability with the support of using reading approximately healthcare centers and decreasing injuries time loss with the aid of temporary labeling energy fluctuations.
Customer Service Management: The ServiceNow tool lets the user link with customer support to different departments to realize and deal with problems. It significantly decreases expenses and improves purchaser loyalty. It allows you growth purchaser loyalty, enhance overall performance, and enhance productivity.
HR Management: The HR Management Support tool helps users improve worker satisfaction. It is a single-point factor in getting admission to reliable, customized HR offerings. Additionally, it allows you growth HR efficiency, streamline worker transfers, and optimizes provider delivery.
Enterprise Security Response Engine: This analytics tool connects with your administrator tools to manipulate equipment. It helps you to react right now to activities and vulnerabilities primarily based totally on the feasible impact for your commercial enterprise. The tool assists you in the increased growth rate and reliability of your safety response. The Security Answer Engine additionally helps in reducing the time spent on easy tasks.
ServiceNow Key Features
The primary features of the ServiceNow platform are as follows:
- ServiceNow hosts enhanced services to your clients with minimum renovation costs.
- It is simple and easy to customize.
- It provides live reporting and monitoring.
- It associates with the privacy and honesty of the data.
- It permits more vital internal monitoring.
Here is the history of ServiceNow in brief:
- In 2006, it was termed ServiceNow.
- In 2007, ServiceNow started the silicon valley office.
- In 2011, ServiceNow began an affiliation with Accenture.
- In 2012, ServiceNow grew to be a traded organization with a marketplace capitalization of US $210 million IPO.
- In 2017, it purchased telepath, a UI organization.
- In 2018, ServiceNow purchased FriendlyData, an NLP organization.
- In 2019, ServiceNow purchased Appsee.
- In 2020, ServiceNow attained Passage AI and Loom Systems.
Now, let’s look into more details about ServiceNow growth:
- In 2006, the business enterprise modified its call to ServiceNow.
- In 2007, ServiceNow stated annual sales of US 13 million and opened their first Silicon Valley workplace in San Jose. In the same 2007, it also became the prior year that the business enterprise went with the drift nice.
- In 2009, ServiceNow’s growth proved sluggish, with some million in sales throughout the one’s first years, the usage of some dozen personnel however very steady. By the time Sequoia Capital led the firm’s 41.4 million Series D in overdue.
- In 2009, he started dealing with associate Doug Leone says he had by no means visible such nice opinions from customers.
- In 2011, the business enterprise turned into referred to as ServiceNow. By April 2011, the business enterprise had named Frank Slootman as the leader govt officer. A crossroads got here in overdue 2011, whereas VMware provided 2.5 billion for the business enterprise, consistent with Leone.
- In 2012, ServiceNow became a publicly traded business enterprise following a US 210 million IPO.
- In 2013, ServiceNow obtained Mirror42, an Amsterdam-primarily based software program developer.
- In 2015, ServiceNow obtained the International market.
- In 2016, ServiceNow obtained Brightpoint Security. By 2016, sales hit 1.39 billion, and a marketplace cap of 12.34 billion.
- In 2017, ServiceNow obtained a gadget gaining knowledge of startup Continuum.
- In 2018, It stood at the top 1 in rating at the 2018 Forbes Most Innovative Companies list. ServiceNow initiatives approximately 2.4 billion in 2018 subscription sales, and at the same time as the bulk of on the way to nevertheless come from increase withinside the IT side, the rising classes are anticipated to make up at least a 3rd of the recent annual agreement cost this year up from much less than 20 at the start of the remaining.
- In 2019, the business enterprise introduced that CEO John Donahoe might be succeeded via way of means of Bill McDermott, previous CEO of SAP SE at the cease of the calendar year.
- In 2020, ServiceNow introduced its acquisition of Sweagle.
- In 2021, a rocket deliverer, Fortune mag, named us one of the international’s maximum renowned organizations for 2021.
What is ServiceNow Terminology?
- #Lists: Lists show the set of records from the data table.
- #Forms: It displays a record from the data table and makes use of it for coming into or updating a document withinside the facts table.
- #Users: They are the users of ServiceNow in an enterprise. The device administrator can create a brand new person, navigate the present users’ list, and mirror and delete a person.
- #Roles: These are associated with a person’s responsibilities in an organization. According to the employee’s profile, the role will be assigned.
- #Groups: These are the set of users performing identical tasks. We can get admission to a collection through “System security/Users and groups.
ServiceNow Architecture – ServiceNow Tutorial
Almost all cloud contributions install on the native multi-tenant instance like Azure, AWS, Oracle, Salesforce, etc. A multi-tenant structure generates a simple example that helps more than one customer. Generally, it offers databases that call for ordinary maintenance, which gives sources get admission to the customers. For this reason, ServiceNow has selected the multi-instance structure.
The multi-instance is a unique example we create for each worker who holds a separate resource stack. Multi-example affords us the freedom to address each user’s essential requirements, permitting us to address a patron-patron base.
Image of ServiceNow Architecture
ServiceNow Architecture consists of the following elements:
- Apache Webserver
- Load balancer
- J2EE app server
- Database: Mysql, Oracle
- Internet IPSEC
- Firewall clusters
- Client site
- ServiceNow Capabilities
ServiceNow User Interface
Like any other web-based application, ServiceNow is primarily focused on providing effective interaction between the platform’s application and its module with its exceptional User Interface that works through a web browser. The latest UI version comes from Istanbul, which is referred to as UI6. Moreover, the major components of UI16 are three in the number listed as follows:
- Banner Frame: It consists of setting options including user profile, logo, global search bar, and option, which helps to switch between conversation and help.
- Application Navigator: Enables users to browse the applications and modules beneath applications.
- Sidebar: This does not exist by default. To enable this option, the user needs to trigger it from the banner frame. It either displays the conversation or the help options.
- Content Frame: It is the key element in the ServiceNow portal that records the content of its modules and applications.
Furthermore, it is compliant and can customize based on specific business requirements.
ServiceNow Administration manages the sidebar automapping regular management, sustenance, and maintenance of the ServiceNow Platform for businesses. It also comprises user interface customization, version updates, applications, and module configuration, user access management, system performance monitoring, UI policies, etc.
The ServiceNow administrators are solely responsible for setting up the ServiceNow software including, loading data into ServiceNow, and creating roles, users, and groups.
- Step 1: Use the URL “https://developer.servicenow.com/” and download the setup
- Step 2: Provide the registration details, and press submit.
- Step 3: Now, check the inbox and activate your account using the email link.
- Step 4: After activation, log in using your credentials.
- Step 5: Accept the provider agreement.
- Step 6: Here, read the developer agreement and accept it.
- Step 7: After completing the survey, click on the submit button.
- Step 8: After shape submission, emerges the ServiceNow dashboard; click on Request Instance
- Step 9: Enter your purpose for using the instance.
- Step 10: Now, choose the London release.
- Step 11: It can take processing the instances. After finishing the process, we can find out the login credentials and login into the dashboard as displayed below:
- Step 12: Press the login hyperlink for changing the password.
- Step 13: Lastly, the dashboard appears.
IT services have lifecycles similar to tactics and products. In the high-quality methods of ITIL carrier administration, services lifecycles are defined to describe the system of ways that are admitted and controlled. Without those ITIL lifecycles, services cannot be carried out and controlled with the greatest performance and efficacy. It is important to stick to the standards of the ITIL lifecycle for IT services to run smoothly. The ITIL lifecycle for ServiceNow is designed into five levels. These levels are interlinked. The cause at the back of that is to make certain that the end aim is constantly stored in thoughts at some point at all of the levels of the ITIL lifecycle for services. This interlinked device is designed to allow constant IT services.
The following are the five stages of ITIL
#1 ITIL lifecycle stage: Service Strategy
#2 ITIL lifecycle stage: Service Design
#3 ITIL lifecycle stage: Service Transition
#4 ITIL lifecycle stage: Service Operation
#5 ITIL lifecycle stage: Continual Service Improvement
ServiceNow Modules and Applications
Applications display almost all platform functionality, and we can navigate via the software navigator on the display’s left side. The ServiceNow administrator can personalize the navigator for presenting diverse modules to unique customers, and customers can use perspectives, filters, collapse, and increase manipulation for changing the modules, which might be seen at any moment.
Following are the programs of the ITIL provider desk:
Incident: The important goal of the Incident is to repair the overall provider operation as quickly as feasible and decrease the opposite impact on the commercial enterprise operations. This assures that we hold the high-satisfactory stages of provider best and availability.
Problem: This software analyses the essential reason for the incidents detected via way of means of the provider desk. It organizes blunders correction withinside the IT infrastructure and includes dynamic hassle prevention.
Change: This manner assures that we use preferred methods and strategies for powerful and fast coping with all of the adjustments for decreasing the impact of the adjustments connected to incidents at the provider’s best.
Service Catalog: It is a software technique for clients for ordering pre-defined, packaged offerings and items from our IT company or different departments. It offers non-stop and inherent online ordering knowledge with the comfortability they require.
Configuring Users and Groups
ITIL-supported applications are advanced on a unique platform that includes enterprise rules, workflow, reporting, and notifications facilities. Service-now.com constantly works at some stage in all of the roles and applications. We can set up the Service-now machine in a modular style. This permits us to execute the applications that remedy our spontaneous business necessities and additionally provides users with the know-how to stimulate the extensions and applications as our organization’s desires develop and advance:
- How to create a user account and consumer organization
- How to utilize user groups
- Roles while we relate a user or group to a role
Service-now directors upload customers to their service-now instance. These days delivered consumers should be associated with a set. The administrator will pick out the necessary fields. Administrators will use an awesome consumer ID even when developing today’s object or updating the prevailing items. When Admin updates all of the logs, it will likely be difficult to hint what turned into configured and via way of means of whom.
Groups: An organization accommodates customers who have a standard purpose, imparting a clean approach for regarding the particular customers jointly. Groups can approve extrude requests, acquire email notifications, etc. Any mission rules, enterprise rules, and attributes that check with the organization will automatically follow all of the organization’s customers.
Roles: A consumer may have bounded get entry to facts withinside the Service-now.com set. Users can get machine roles that permit complete get entry to as their function desires. Admin consumer has all of the roles.
Create a Group: We create a set this is beneficial for the directors. This organization will offer the admin position to all of the organization’s contributors. This permits us to offer customers a position.
- Step 1: Go to “User Administration/Groups”.
- Step2: Press “New” for developing the organization with the underneath attributes: Name
- Step 3: After group creation, press the “save” button.
- Step4: Provide admin position to the brand new organization
Within the organization record, scroll down via the associated list “Roles” and Press “EDIT”.
Include the admin position and “save.”
This will revert you to the prepared organization shape and confirm that the admin position is initiated to “Inherits=true.”
We can administer the admins via way of means of placing contributors into the organization. Compared to man or woman customers, we can administer companies easily.
By clicking the “Edit” button, we can add new users.
Create a User
In many cases, we can import the customers via LDAP integration. The customers who are out-of-the-box are ITIL, Admin, and Employee.
- Step 1: Navigate to the User Administration or Users option, and then click on option new.
- Step 2: Provide the required details listed as follows.User ID
- First Name
- Last Name
- Step3: Here, we have to add users to the groups
Go to the left navigation and click on “Groups” (User Administration/Groups)
Click the “Training Admin” organization.
Scroll right down to the customers and press the “EDIT” button.
In the quest bar, kind the consumer call and save.
- Step 4: When our consumer exists withinside the organization and should have the admin position.
Finally, navigate to the System Security or Role Allocation page and choose the option “this report.”